Smoothie blenders are an increasingly common appliance in every kitchen. Their comfort and ease of use make jug blenders a special kitchen element. Dare to prepare amazing juices, combine flavors and start enjoying a healthier lifestyle.
Smoothie blenders have become very popular recently thanks to their ability to make a wide variety of healthy and delicious drinks. They let you mix and match your favourite fruit and vegetables to create nourishing smoothies. Chopped fruit and vegetables must be mixed with a liquid in order to make a smoothie, this may be water, milk or a plant-based milk such as oat or almond milk. Strong blenders can also mix harder substances like nuts, seeds and ice. For models that can blend these types of foods, keep an eye out for powerful blenders with a strong wattage or 600 w or more and a high revolution power of 15,000 rpm or more.
Smoothies make excellent post-workout snacks, for instance, and are a great way to pack a lot of nutrients in to one snack. The best smoothies tend to be the most simple recipes such as carrot, apple and ginger or almond milk, banana, nuts and cacao. For an extra healthy kick, add in some greens like spinach and cucumber to boost the mineral content of your smoothie. Extra features to look out for include the following:
- Dishwasher safe parts - for easy cleaning and maintenance, a blender with dishwasher safe parts is an excellent option. Not all models can be put in the dishwasher.
- Variable speed settings - most blenders have between 1 and 3 speed settings which lets you create the consistency you desire. A faster speed setting will create a smoother, very fine smoothie
- Pulse function - this setting lets you whizz up any final chunks before pouring your smoothie.
- Mixing jug with markers - capacity markers on the blender bottle or jug makes it easier to measure out the ingredients.
- Sports bottle - some blenders come with a sports bottle included, which is excellent for gym goers and fitness fans. More elaborate models let you blend directly into the sports bottle, making smoothies extra quick to prepare and less cleaning required!
Most blenders on the market come with a removable jug and this component may be made of plastic, glass or stainless steel. A glass blender is the easiest to clean and maintain as it does not stain. A jug blender with a plastic mixing jug will generally be cheaper, though it is worth noting that plastic tends to stain and crack easily, and is not quite as durable as glass.
The capacity of the blender jug or container is worth checking before making a purchase. Smaller blenders with a capacity of 0.5 L for example are ideal if you will be making smoothies for just one or two people at a time, while a large 1 L or more model will let you make healthy drinks for all the family at once.
Some food processors offer blender functionality and can also be used to make dips such as hummus and pesto, soups and chopped salads. If you are looking for a device that can perform an array of tasks including blending, a food processor would be well worth checking out.
Similar products that may be worth checking out include a blender, a hand blender, which is ideal for making soup, and a stand mixer. For travel, a mini blender may be a nice option as it can be packed easily and compactly in a suitcase. Another popular appliance for preparing healthy beverages is a cold press juicer.
Discover our Black Friday blenders sale and benefit from the best prices on your favourite products.