This recipe is a real scandal. Caramelised popcorn with a touch of salt and super crunchy. If you have flavoured salt at home you can customise this recipe, success is guaranteed. If you don’t eat it right away, you should keep it in an airtight container to enjoy it whenever you want, just like freshly made! Caramel has to be made, so we ask you to be careful, the hot caramel can cause burns if it comes into contact with the skin.
- 70 g unsalted butter or vegetable butter
- 150 g brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Salt flakes to taste
- 40 g popcorn
- Add the butter to a frying pan over medium heat. When it is almost melted, add the sugar.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the sugar melts and the caramel starts to brown. This will take between 3 and 5 minutes. During this time, stir constantly.
- Lower the heat, add the vanilla, baking soda and salt, stir for a few seconds and set aside.
- Add the corn in the popcorn popper, cover and switch on. Put a bowl in the popcorn popper and wait until the popcorn is cooked.
- Place the freshly popped popcorn in a baking dish on parchment paper.
- Quickly spread the caramel over the popcorn and stir with a kitchen utensil, taking care not to burn yourself. This step must be done quickly, as the caramel crystallises very quickly when it cools down abruptly.
- Bake the popcorn at 150ºC for 30 minutes. Every 10 minutes open the oven to disperse the popcorn sticks or popcorn rocks. When the caramel heats up again, we will be able to disperse the popcorn better.
- Remove from the oven. After this time, the popcorn will no longer be so sticky.
- Quickly add salt all over the popcorn without stirring. Leave to cool.
- Once cooled, the popcorn is ready to break up any remaining popcorn sticks. Add to a bowl and enjoy.