It is usually eaten as an appetizer, but this powerful dish, which thanks to the gelatine and water naturally present in cod and makes a creamy emulsion, has many uses. Accompanied by bread it is very good, spreaded on toast with some cherry tomatoes and a handful of rocket solves a decent dinner, if we use it to fill a French omelette we will surprise all the diners and added to cooked potatoes or rice it is a delicacy. The recipe has all the history of an era in which the nutritional needs were different – it seems that it was born around the 16th century and was prepared in the whole Mediterranean area, where salted cod and olive oil were already common – and it is an adaptation of Montserrat Fontané, the mother of the Roca brothers
- 350 g of desalted cod (skin and bones removed)
- Between 2 and 4 cloves of garlic (to taste)
- A pinch of salt
- 50 ml of warm whole milk
- 200 ml of virgin olive oil that is not too strong
- Salt (if needed)
- Before starting to cook, try a piece of cod to see if it is desalted enough. If it is too salty, put it in a container with cold water in the fridge for a few hours until it loses the necessary salt. If it is bland, take it into account and add a little salt at step 5.
- Put the blade accessory in the Chefbot bowl. Peel 2 to 4 garlic cloves, add them to the bowl, program 10 seconds at speed 8 and close.
- Remove the blade accessory and attach the stirring accessory. Using the spatula, lower whatever is stuck to the walls. Add 50 ml of the olive oil, program 5 minutes to 100℃, speed 1 and close.
- Add the 350 g of desalted cod flakes, program 8 minutes to 90℃, speed 1 and close.
- Open the Chefbot and, taking care not to burn yourself, remove the stirring attachment and put the blade attachment in. Add 50 ml of the olive oil, set 1 minute at speed 8 and close.
- When finished, add another 50 ml of olive oil through the feed chute, programme 45 seconds at speed 8 and start the programmme.
- When finished, add 25 ml of milk through the feed chute, programme 45 seconds at speed 8 and start the programme.
- When finished, add the last 50 ml of olive oil through the chute, program 45 seconds at speed 8 and start the program.
- When finished, add the last 25 ml of milk through the chute, program 1 minute at speed 8 and start the program.
- Open the Chefbot and check if the branded is well emulsified. If not, stir with the spatula, lower what is stuck to the walls and work in cycles of 45 seconds at speed 8 until a bound and creamy texture is achieved. If you want to cook it au gratin, get a suitable container for the oven and cook it for a few minutes in the oven with heat at 200℃. If not, transfer to a container, cover with kitchen film, let cool – it will take on consistency when cooled, due to the gelatin effect – and consume instantly (or keep well covered in the fridge).