“Txangurro a la donostiarra” is one of the star dishes on the Christmas table in the Basque Country. It is a laborious dish, but the result is well worth the effort. Learn how to make this traditional recipe with your Chefbot. If we want to be orthodox, we have to make it with spider crab, but this time we will use an ox crab. You can buy the crab already cooked at your local fishmonger’s, which will save you a step and you will also know that it is just the right amount of salt and cooking time.
- 1 cooked crab (800 g)
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 1 small carrot
- Olive oil 50 ml
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- ½ tablespoon brandy
- Pinch of salt
- Butter and breadcrumbs for gratin to taste
- Clean the crab previously cooked to obtain its meat. First, separate the claws and legs of the crab from its shell and, using a seafood tongs, break them and separate the meat in a bowl (with the help of a small fork or toothpick). Then open the shell and discard the gills. Remove the coral and the inside of the edible crab (again, use the shellfish tongs to break the breasts and remove the meat). The inside of the shell should be clean and should be reserved for stuffing and presentation. Reserve all the crab meat obtained in a bowl in the refrigerator.
- Place the blade accessory in the glass of the Chefbot and add an onion cut into 4 pieces, a small piece of leek (the white part) cut in half and a small carrot cut into pieces.
- Program 10 seconds on speed 8 to blend all the vegetables.
- With the help of the spatula, push down all the pieces that have stuck to the walls of the glass.
- Replace the blade accessory with the stir paddle accessory and add 50 ml of olive oil. Program 5 minutes at 100ºC and speed 1 to cook the vegetables.
- Taking care not to burn yourself, open the Chefbot lid and add 3 tablespoons of tomato sauce, ½ tablespoon of brandy, a pinch of salt and the crab meat.
- Program 15 minutes at 90ºC and speed 1 to cook all the ingredients.
- Using the spatula, place the cooked crab on its shell (which has been previously cleaned and dried), add a little breadcrumbs and butter.
- Bake for approximately 6 minutes at 200ºC until the breadcrumbs and butter are golden brown.